Arid
DOI10.1007/s12517-020-5242-y
Evaluation and validity of the antecedent moisture condition (AMC) of Natural Resources Conservation Service-Curve Number (NRCS-CN) procedure in undeveloped arid basins
Farran, Mohammed Mohammed; Elfeki, Amro Mohamed
Corresponding AuthorFarran, Mohammed Mohammed
JournalARABIAN JOURNAL OF GEOSCIENCES
ISSN1866-7511
EISSN1866-7538
Year Published2020
Volume13Issue:6
Abstract in English

The available conversion formulae for AMC-CN are estimated in an environment that is not arid. The validity of these formulae in arid regions is questionable. Therefore, in the current study, a focus is made on studying the validity of the NRCS-CN theory, its AMC, formulas, and derivation of conversion formulae of CN for some arid basins in the southwest Saudi Arabia (SA). One hundred sixty-one rainfall-runoff events have been collected over a period of 4 years on 19 sub-basins in the study area. The results show that in arid regions the AMCI antecedent moisture condition at (dry) conditions is dominant. It has been shown that the abstraction ratio, lambda = 0.01, is the best to fit the NRCS-CN theory when compared with lambda = 0.2 or 0.3. The observed and estimated runoff show that the root mean square error (RMSE) is the lowest for lambda = 0.01 (1.8 mm, 3.69 mm, and 1.36 mm) when compared with lambda = 0.2 (4.21 mm, 12.13 mm, and 3.15 mm) and lambda = 0.3 (5.74 mm, 13.92 mm, and 3.1 mm) for CNI (CN at dry condition), CNII (CN at normal condition), and CNIII (CN at wet condition) respectively. The upper and lower limits of lambda, in SA, are 0.02 (90% probability) and 0.00001 (10% probability) respectively. The runoff coefficient is less than 0.4. This is due to high transmission losses which is typical in arid regions. The study recommends using lambda = 0.01 and the developed AMC-CN formulae for enhanced runoff predictions in SA.


Keyword in EnglishNRCS-CN theory Curve number Antecedent moisture condition Arid regions Initial abstraction Saudi Arabia
SubtypeArticle
Language英语
CountrySaudi Arabia
Indexed BySCI-E
WOS IDWOS:000521126600001
WOS KeywordINITIAL ABSTRACTION RATIO ; MODEL
WOS SubjectGeosciences, Multidisciplinary
WOS Research AreaGeology
Document Type期刊论文
Identifierhttp://119.78.100.177/qdio/handle/2XILL650/314089
AffiliationKing Abdulaziz Univ, Fac Meteorol Environm & Arid Land Agr, Dept Hydrol & Water Resources Management, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Recommended Citation
GB/T 7714
Farran, Mohammed Mohammed,Elfeki, Amro Mohamed. Evaluation and validity of the antecedent moisture condition (AMC) of Natural Resources Conservation Service-Curve Number (NRCS-CN) procedure in undeveloped arid basins[J],2020,13(6).
APA Farran, Mohammed Mohammed,&Elfeki, Amro Mohamed.(2020).Evaluation and validity of the antecedent moisture condition (AMC) of Natural Resources Conservation Service-Curve Number (NRCS-CN) procedure in undeveloped arid basins.ARABIAN JOURNAL OF GEOSCIENCES,13(6).
MLA Farran, Mohammed Mohammed,et al."Evaluation and validity of the antecedent moisture condition (AMC) of Natural Resources Conservation Service-Curve Number (NRCS-CN) procedure in undeveloped arid basins".ARABIAN JOURNAL OF GEOSCIENCES 13.6(2020).
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Related Services
Recommend this item
Bookmark
Export to Endnote
Google Scholar
Similar articles in Google Scholar
[Farran, Mohammed Mohammed]'s Articles
[Elfeki, Amro Mohamed]'s Articles
Baidu academic
Similar articles in Baidu academic
[Farran, Mohammed Mohammed]'s Articles
[Elfeki, Amro Mohamed]'s Articles
Bing Scholar
Similar articles in Bing Scholar
[Farran, Mohammed Mohammed]'s Articles
[Elfeki, Amro Mohamed]'s Articles
Terms of Use
No data!
Social Bookmark/Share

Items in the repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.